Sunday, February 7, 2010

Art Project Cool


First, I would like to draw attention to the song lyrics.

"You ain't going nowhere as long as he is the driver."
If you follow him, you won't get anywhere.

"One look at him tells me you want to be taken higher."
He does not have what it takes to make you cooler.

"Why waste time when you know I got it. Come on baby you know you want it. You know it's possible to get what you're looking for."
I have what you are looking for so you should be following me if you want it.

"How many people can do it like me? Zero. Keep it so cool like me? Zero."
I am the only cool one; no one can be like me.

My video focuses particularly on skills; one of the main components that make one cool. There is the guy with motorcycle tricks, another with driving skills, one with dancing skills, and the other with skateboard tricks. The last part of my video is about this kid who gave into peer pressure, went against his "self," and dyed his hair. He said that dying his hair blonde is not cool, that doing so is not "him," and that it is not cool to give into peer pressure. But what he really means is that his culture will not approve of his hair color; his cultural map says that it is not cool to dye his hair blonde. There is no "me;" we are shaped by our cultural maps.

The first thing I needed to make this video was a "cool" song. I did not think this song was intended to portray cool but I thought the lyrics could be taken that way. Next, I had to find clips that looked cool on youtube. I showed my friend the clip of the motorcycle and she thought it was cool so I decided to use that clip. I thought the driving skills was awesome so I had that in my video. My brother thought the cwalk was cool so we decided to put that in the video. I found the clip of the guy with the blonde hair when I was surfing youtube and he mentioned cool so I had him in my video. I used a video editing program to put the clips together and the effects were done by my younger brother.

I think the video is pretty cool. The stuff in the video were cool, some of the effects went well with parts of the video, and the song is cool. But after watching the video several times, it gets old and boring, like any cool products. This is the emptiness that cannot be filled.

Credits:
Varsity - Zero
my bro

No comments:

Post a Comment